bridging the language gulf

Moderator: admin

bridging the language gulf

Postby peacelover » 04 Feb 2010, 23:47

there are two anti-mirzai streams on the web; easily distinguished by language - urdu and english. the english stream is largely retained by the immigrant population in the west while the urdu stream originates in pakistan with minor spots elsewhere. the quality of contribution as well as the style of discussion is vastly different across the two streams. anyone can experience that by visiting the two for a few days.

i'm constantly told by several muslim brothers that thecult.info board and blog both offer the best on the web. well, with minor qualifications, i tend to agree. if so then i'm asked to approach the admin to introduce an urdu version of the blog and the forum.

i favor this suggestion simply because the language gulf continues to keep the two groups apart. we must find a way to enhance group interaction for mutual benefit.
peacelover

Re: bridging the language gulf

Postby admin » 08 Feb 2010, 01:34

Two members of the admin team have been discussing this idea on and off for the last three months. We think it's an excellent idea, but implementation might take some time due to time constraints. Ideally, for this to work really well, we'd have translated versions of every blog post and this would require committed, neutral and of course, bi-lingual contributors with sufficient time available to translate.

We are also considering changing the board software, as phpBB seems a little heavy in some areas and archaic in others.

Thank you for your input, it's very valuable. If you have any further input on this particular sub-project, we'd love to hear it.
admin
Site Admin

Postby peacelover » 08 Feb 2010, 21:39

thanks for the prompt response. i'm glad you've been discussing the bi-lingual issue. indeed, there are problems of competence and time constraints. some of these could possibly be overcome by presenting a selection of what appears on the blog/forum. there is little gain in including the mirzai diatribes that add nothing to our knowledge base. i'm willing to contribute my time to translation from blog/forum. is there any bilingual board software that can handle both urdu and english. i'd not recommend the use of romanized urdu.
peacelover

Postby admin » 09 Feb 2010, 23:10

Thanks for the offer.

Currently, the blog runs on Wordpress and the forum runs on phpBB. One option is to use the Wordpress plug-in bbPress. I'm not sure how much multi-lingual support there is in bbPress, but the real issue is right-to-left - as we have some Arabic, incorrectly formatted, in both the blog and the forum as it stands.

The other issue is that if we move the forum, whether to import the existing discussions and users, or require re-registration.

In any case, this is definitely on the agenda, and we look forward to counting on your support, it's much appreciated.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions